Hayden Quinn’s Spicy Hot Saltbush Pork Skewers
700g Pork Shoulder Chops, meat cut off the bone and thinly sliced into small skewerable pieces
- 3 tbs ground saltbush*
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 cloves garlic, grated on microplane
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 can Coca Cola
- 3 tbs rice wine vinegar 2 tbs sea salt
- Peanut Satay
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- Juice, 1 lime
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 270ml can coconut milk
- 1 tsp sugar Pinch
- salt, to taste
Crispy Herb Salad:
- Bunch Coriander, roughly chopped
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, woody stalks removed and finely shredded
- 100g fried noodles
- Sea salt, to taste
- Lime cheeks, to serve
* Saltbush is an Australian native that can be used as whole leaf or in its powdered or ground form. Saltbush seed can also be found. These items can be purchased from specialty grocers and online spice purveyors. Check out our friend Rayleen Brown at Kungkas Can Cook.
Make the marinade up in a large zip-lock bag adding in the sliced pork and sealing tightly. Shake the bag and get all the pork coated well, place in fridge for an hour before cooking.
While pork is marinating, make up the satay sauce by combining all satay ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring well until all combined and sauce is a loose dipping consistency. Keep just warm and set aside until ready to serve.
Set the coast for your Weber Go Anywhere charcoal BBQ as hot as you can get it. While they are heating, thread pork onto skewers in an ‘S’ shape, placing them on a tray ready to be cooked. Take remaining marinade and pour into a small saucepan and place over medium high heat to bring to a simmer, this will be used for basting the pork as it cooks.
Once BBQ is roaring hot, add skewers and allow to cook until slightly charred on one side (2mins or so), baste with marinade and then turn, basting again and turning every couple of minutes until charred, slightly crispy on the edges and cooked through. Place on clean tray and allow to rest while you toss together the crispy herb salad.
For the salad, simply toss together all ingredients and serve in a small bowl with lime cheeks for garnish. Serve a big platter of spicy skewers, a bowl of the dipping sauce and a side of the fresh herb salad.